PVS CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Last Updated: 5/2008
- Certification Requirements
- Age -- 18 years or older.
- Attend PVS conducted Starter Clinic.
- Register as a non-athlete with USA Swimming.
- Be a certified Stroke and Turn Judge in PVS for at least one year.
- Serve on-deck as a trainee with a PVS certified Starter or Referee at a minimum of five (5) different sessions at a minimum of three (3) non-championship meets. Start sufficient heats at each session to allow Referee to evaluate performance.
- Perform to the satisfaction of the Referee and have such performance reported to PVS on the PVS Official's Certification Application Form.
- Pass designated sections of the USA Swimming Officials tests with an aggregate grade of at least 90%.
- Starts must be favorably observed at the last training session by an official designated by the PVS Officials Committee to evaluate new starters. Link to evaluation criteria
- Be officially certified as a Timer -- see Timer certification requirements.
- Complete certification requirements within one year of taking the Starter's clinic.
- Certification is good until the December 31 following two years after the date of issuance.
- Recertification Requirements
- Previously certified by PVS or another USA Swimming LSC as a starter.
- If from another LSC, fulfill all relevant requirements of the PVS Officials' Transfer Policy.
- Work at least four (4) sessions per year at a USA Swimming sanctioned meet, at least two of which shall be as a Starter, and at least one of which shall be as a Stroke and Turn Judge or Chief Judge.
- Attend PVS conducted clinic for Starters at least once every two years.
- Pass once every two years designated sections of the USA Swimming Officials tests with an aggregate grade of at least 90%.
- Retain valid registration with USA Swimming as a non-athlete.
- Recertification is good for two years after date prior certification expired.