PVS CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
STROKE AND TURN JUDGE, RELAY TAKE-OFF JUDGE, CHIEF JUDGE
Last Updated: 5/2008
- Stroke and Turn Judge
- Certification Requirements
- Age -- 18 years or older.
- Attend PVS conducted or approved Stroke and Turn Clinic.
- Register as a non-athlete with USA Swimming.
- Serve on-deck as a trainee with a Stroke and Turn Judge (who has been certified for at least one year) at a minimum of four (4) sessions. The four sessions must be at a minimum of two different non-championship meets. All sessions must include strokes other than freestyle.
- Cannot make unsupervised disqualification calls while serving as a trainee.
- Evaluated to have performed in at least a satisfactory manner at each session by supervising Stroke and Turn Judge(s) and Referee and such performance is reported on the PVS Official's Certification Application Form.
- Pass both USA Swimming Stroke and Turn Judge and USA Swimming Timer tests with a combined grade of at least 85%.
- Complete certification requirement within one year from date of Stroke and Turn clinic.
- Remain registered as a non-athlete with USA Swimming.
- Certification is good until the December 31 following two years after the date of issuance.
- Recertification Requirements
- Previously certified by PVS or another USA Swimming Local Swim Committee (LSC) as a Stroke and Turn Judge
- If from another LSC, fulfill all relevant requirements of the PVS Officials' Transfer Policy.
- Work at least four (4) sessions per year as a Stroke and Turn Judge at a USA Swimming sanctioned meet.
- Attend PVS conducted or approved clinic for Stroke and Turn Judges at least once every two years.
- Pass both USA Swimming Stroke and Turn Judge and USA Swimming Timer tests every two years, with a combined grade of at least 85%.
- Retain valid registration as a non-athlete with USA Swimming.
- Recertification is good for two years after date prior certification expired.
- Relay Take-Off Judge
- There is no separate certification requirement for this position. The duties will be included in the training, certification, and recertification requirements for Stroke and Turn Judge.
- Duties should be performed only by individuals certified as a Stroke and Turn Judge.
- There is no separate certification requirement for this position.
- Training regarding the duties of the Chief Judge shall be provided by the Referee as necessary.
- Duties should be performed only by individuals who have a minimum of one (1) year's experience as a certified Stroke and Turn Judge.