There are two ways to search for times of PVS swimmers:
Try this one first. It is the most up-to-date and accurate.
This one includes 25Y events.
To find out the differences between these two databases read the Primer on Databases.
Some instructions on using the USA Swimming database are written in the Webmaster's blog.
Notes About the PVS Searchable Database
- The database has all meet results for the last four years.
- Comments and questions are welcome to
TMonline@pvswim.org . As questions come in, a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
section will be added to this page.
intro page of the database has the date of the last upload. It is my intention to
upload to the database once a week during the short course and long course seasons. This will
generally occur about mid-week after all the meets from the previous weekend have been
processed. Corrections will get automatically uploaded with the next update.
- Times entered in the database are from PV sanctioned meets, and USA Swimming sanctioned meets
occuring in other LSCs attended by PVS teams.
For meet results to be included in the database, the results need to be provided in the proper
electronic format. All PVS meets are already in this format.
- If a meet is not in the database and was swam in another LSC, have your coach forward the
electronic meet results file to the PVS webmaster, or provide a link to the host team's or
host LSC's web site.
- The database works with all modern web browsers, however it works best in Internet Explorer.
Some features (e.g. graphing) will not work with non-IE browsers such as Netscape, Mozilla and
How to Use the PVS Searchable Database
- The database includes an on-line help function. Just click the Help button on any
of the screens.
- To get a list of all the meets represented in the database, click the Meet Results
button. To view the results of only that meet, click on Result next to the
- To find a particular swimmer's times:
- Click on the Athletes button on the main menu bar.
- A list of swimmers will be displayed in alphabetical order. You can filter that
list by Gender or Team. You can find a particular
swimmer in one of three ways:
- Click the Next button to show the next 20 swimmers. Continue until you find your particular swimmer.
- Click on the letter on the top of the list of swimmers corresponding to the first letter of the last name of the swimmer desired. Continue as above until you find your particular swimmer.
- Enter part or all of a swimmer's last name in the Find Athlete box
and click on the Go button and you will see a list of swimmers matching
that name. This is the recommended method.
- Clicking on Times next to the swimmer's last name will show all the swimmer's
best times. You can filter these meet results for one particular meet, a specific
course, stroke, and distance. And you may choose the Fastest 1, 2, 3, 4,5, or All
times that you want to see.
- You can print the displayed list of times using the Print button.
- You can show the splits for the swim (if they were available from the original
electronic meet results) by clicking on Splits in the first column of the table.
- You can graph the results (Internet Explorer only) for a particular event (course,
stroke, and distance). See the online help for how to use this feature.
- To find top times:
- Click on the Teams button on the main menu bar.
- Notice that the Season Best Only: 09/01/04 box is checked.
This means that the default for
the top times functions are for the current season only. To get top times results
from the entire database, uncheck the box.
- To get a top times list for one team, click on Times next to the team
name. To get a top times list for all of PVS, click on Times for all Potomac
Valley Swimming at the top of the screen.
- You will see a top times list for the 100 free. You can filter this screen
by Gender or Course. You can choose fastest 1 or how many you would like to see
for each swimmer. Filter ages using the Low and or High Age selections and choose
what stroke and distance you would like to see.
- You can see the splits for a particular swim using the procedure described
Frequently Asked Questions
If your question isn't answered here, please submit it to the Database Administrator.
- How can I get some basic instructions for using this database?
- Some basic instructions are given above.
The database also has an on-line help feature. Click on the Help
button on any screen.
- How often is the database updated?
- It is usually updated once a week and results of a particular meet are
usually in the database within one week of the completion of the meet.
The date of the last time the database was updates is always shown on the
database intro page
- I switched teams. Why do I still show up as a member of my previous team?
- Although the database keeps track of which team you represent for each swim,
there is no way for it to know which one is your current team. You can report
your current team affiliation to the Database
Administrator and it will be corrected.
- I've spotted what I believe is an error in the data. What should I do?
- If the error is in name, age or team affiliation, contact the
Database Administrator and we will
research the problem. If you believe a time is incorrect, contact your
coach. The results are loaded electronically from the meet results and
any errors have to be corrected first in the original meet results.
- How is the swimmer's age reported in the database?
- The age shown in the "Athletes" list is as of the date the database was last
updated (shown on the entry screen to the database)
- Can I get top times from only a specified time period?
- You can only constrain the top times lists to one of two time periods:
(1) current season beginning September 1st, or (2) the entire database
since October 2003.
- Can you add a new feature to the database?
- The database is a commercial product what we cannot modify. But, you can
send feature requests to the developer.
- Our team swam a meet in another LSC. Why aren't the results in the database?
- If the meet was not swum in Potomac Valley, someone needs to let us
know about it. We can then try to obtain the electronic meet results
and load them into the database. All sanctioned swims by Potomac Valley
swimmers can be put in the database.
- None of the buttons on the interface (e.g. Next or Refresh) appear to work. What could be the problem.
- All functions work except the graphing feature. Is there a reason for this?
- The graphing feature only works with Internet Explorer. If you are
using a different web browser, like Mozilla or Netscape, this feature
will not work.
- Why do my times from the Zone meets not show up on a top times query for my team?
- The top times queries for a team only show swims for that team. Swims at
Zones are made for team Potomac Valley. If you view times for a particular
swimmer, all times for that swimmer, regardless of team affiliation will
- Why aren't observed times from the High School championship meets in the database?
- Only swims from USA Swimming sanctioned meets by Potomac Valley swimmers
are in this database. The
USA Swimming database includes all sanctioned and observed swims.