PVS CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Last Updated: 5/2008
- Certification Requirements
- Age -- 21 years or older.
- Have been a certified Starter in PVS for at least one year in order to eligible to be nominated.
- Be nominated by a PVS Club Official's Chairman and/or member of PVS Officials Committee.
- Retain valid registration with US Swimming as a non-athlete.
- Be invited to train by PVS Officials Committee.
- Attend special PVS Officials Clinic for first time Referees.
- Attend PVS conducted Referee's Clinic.
- Serve on-deck as a trainee with at least two different Referees (each of whom has been certified for at least one (1) year by PVS.) Train at least six (6) sessions at a minimum of three (3) different non-championship meets. No more than three sessions may be at intra team, dual or tri meets.
- Be a certified Hy-Tek operator and Colorado Timing System operator -- see certification requirements for those
- Must have successfully served at least once as a Chief Judge.
- Perform at each session to the satisfaction of the evaluating Referee. Such performance is reported on the PVS Official's Certification Application Form.
- Pass all sections of the various USA Swimming Officials tests with an aggregate grade of at least 90%.
- Be favorably observed at the last training session by an official designated by the PVS Officials Committee to evaluate new referees. Link to evaluation criteria
- Performance in all aspects must be favorably observed at last training session by a member of the PVS Officials Committee, who has been certified as a Referee for at least one year.
- Complete certification requirements within 18 months of having attended the Referee's clinic.
- Certification is good until the December 31 following two years after the date of issuance.
- Recertification Requirements
- Previously certified by PVS or another USA Swimming LSC as a referee.
- If from another LSC, fulfill all relevant requirements of the PVS Officials' Transfer Policy.
- Work at least six (6) sessions per year at a USA Swimming sanctioned meet, at least one of which shall be as a Referee and at least one of which shall be as a Stroke and Turn Judge.
- Attend PVS conducted Referee's clinic at least once every two years.
- Pass all sections of the various USA Swimming Officials tests every two years with an aggregate grade of at least 90%.
- Retain valid registration with USA Swimming as a non-athlete.
- Recertification is good for two years after date prior certification expired..