September 25, 2002 Report
- Many autumn 2002 officials training clinics have been announced and the first two have been held. Location and times of clinics have been posted to the website and publicized to the club officials chairman. Coaches and others are encouraged to have their parents attend these clinics.
- The first clinic held was the new referee clinic with six attendees. Potential new Referees were identified and individuals selected were invited to attend the clinic for first time Referees on September 22. Attendees were John Firestein, Angela Kotonias, William Maneely, Trish Portare, Ray Richardson, and Pamela Starke-Reed.
- A stroke and turn clinic was held at Burke Racquet and Swim Club on September 22. There were 18 attendees (2 experienced ones who were recertifying and 16 new potential stroke and turn judges). Boots Hall would like to thank Al Betts for helping at the clinic.
- October clinics have been organized. On October 5, at MAC, starter, stroke and turn, referee, Hytek and Colorado clinics are scheduled. On Oct 12 both starter and stroke and turn clinics are scheduled for Herndon at the Harvest Moon meet. An additional stroke and turn clinic will be held at that meet on Oct 13.
- The USA Swimming Officials Committee has just made available on-line the certification and recertification tests for all officiating positions. In order to become more familiar with it and make sure there are no surprises, PVS will initially ask some of the senior officials to try it out and report back. Other officials will take tests as usual and have them graded by our graders.
- No new information to report.
- Meet announcements for all meets through mid-November have been posted.
- Clubs holding club sponsored meets through the end of December have been invited to submit their meet announcements for posting.
- 2002 Fall Long Course and 2003 Winter Long Course Invitational Meets have been added to the schedule after consultation with Competition and Board members. Sanctioning of these meets was apparently requested last April, but request was never brought to Board's attention to be acted upon.
- Meetings were held with FCPA and PGS&LC regarding pool contractual issues for the 2002-03 short course season. Following consultation with other Board members, GMU has been given updated information regarding desired pool rental arrangements for 2003 PVS SC 14/U JO Champs.
- No open water meet is being held this autumn due to inability to resolve water access issues. PVS is very anxious to conduct at least one open water meet next spring/early summer in order to conduct a meet prior to National 5K to be held in this area on August 10.
- No new Reports of Occurrence have been received.
- PVS's Safety Chairman received only one preliminary request from a PVS coaches for STSC training recently.