February 19, 2002 Report
- The PVS Officials Committee will staff the PVS SCY Championship Meet, February 28-March 3. Bob Richardson will serve as Meet Referee and Ron Whalen as Administrative Referee. In addition to seeking officials thru the Club Officials Chairman (as has been done historically), a request for volunteers was also recently included in the meet announcement.
- SC Sectionals, March 14-17 -- Joel Black will be the Meet Referee. He is a member of the National Officials Committee. Volunteers for assigned positions ("blue coats") were sought through the EZ Officials Chairman and assignments have been made from those who volunteered to work all sessions. Additional volunteers for non assigned positions (i.e., Stroke and Turn) are still being sought.
- Dave Macedonia and Sumie Emory will represent PVS at USA Swimming Officials Clinic to be held in Colorado Spring this May.
- The Officials Committee proposes that meet announcements starting with this summer=s LC meets show the club officials chairman responsible for staffing a meet. We believe this will help officials know how to volunteer to assist at these meets. It has been done for a limited number of prior meets held within PVS and is done by some other LSC's
- Certification patches for officials originally requested from the office in March 2001 have not yet arrived. We are also now out of Hytek certification pins. A request that these pins be ordered was made this fall. Newly certified officials now have to wait for these items.
- PVS officials have historically only received their certifications if their registration with USA Swimming could be verified with the PVS Registrar. In the absence of being able to receive this information on a timely basis, it is no longer possible to perform this verification.
- The host club provided considerable support for the PVS February Distance Meet. However, PVS had to provide considerable assistance to the host club for the February Distance Meet.
- The host club provided considerable support for the PVS February Distance
the meet site. However, PVS provided considerable assistance to the host
prior to meet with meet entry processing, etc.
- No Reports of Occurrences have been reported since the January Board meeting.
- The Safety Chairman is attempting to set up a PVS sponsored Safety Training for Swim Coaches class for this spring. It will be held if sufficient demand for the class can be identified to warrant holding the class. Any coaches interested in receiving this training can contract John McDonald, PVS Safety Chairman at email@example.com to let him know of their interest. Head coaches are also requested to determine if their coaches will require this training and by March 15 advise John McDonald of their needs and interest in attending this class if it is offered.
- To assure the marshaling function receives appropriate attention, assigned officials are no longer expected to assume this responsibility as "collateral duty." PVS needs to be taking steps to make sure host clubs are aware they will have to assume this duty during both warm-ups and actual competition starting with this summer's Long Course Season. Board action to make this PVS policy will be requested at this Board meeting.