POTOMAC VALLEY SWIMMING
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
ATTENDANCE: Board Members: Jim Garner, Dan Jacobs, Frani Hess, John Hirschmann, Bill Marlin, Don Riedlinger, Bill Stephens, Ron Whalen, Greg York. Non-voting Board members: Janet Auger, John Ertter, Linda Klopfenstein. Guests: Joel "Cy" Cyganiewicz, Art Davis.
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at approximately 7:05 pm by Jim Garner, General Chair.
AGENDA: Jim provided the Board with a proposed Agenda.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes of the April 19, 2006 meeting. The motion passed with one abstention, Don Riedlinger.
2006 UNITED STATES AQUATIC CONVENTION: The General Chairman, Jim Garner, presented a list of potential attendees to the Convention, as well as a proposal for a limit on actual expenses that would be reimbursed. The Board approved the reimbursement of the following expenses: (1) convention registration fee (at the “early bird” rate), (2) one-half hotel expense per night, (3) air fare expense—not to exceed $150.00 and (4) meals expense—not to exceed $30 per day for each night spent at the hotel.
AWARDING OF 2006-07 PVS NOVEMBER OPEN: [On May 31, 2006, by electronic vote, the Board awarded to RMSC the PVS January 2007 Distance Meet at Lee District and the PVS February 2007 Distance Meet at Fairland. Electronic votes were sought on the PVS November Open, PVS 14 & Under Championship and PVS Senior Championship Meets at that time, but none received the six affirmative votes required for passage under an e-vote.] The Board voted unanimously to award one site at PGS&LC of the November Open to OCCS. It was noted that the second site at PGS&LC remains unbid.
BOARD ACTION ON COMPETITION COMMITTEE MOTIONS:
(1) MEET SANCTION REQUESTS: Don Riedlinger reviewed Competition Committee’s endorsement of seven club meets to be held in the 2006-07 SC season:
• VSC I 10/U Meet – October 7-8, 2006 at South Run sponsored by SDS
• RMSC Invitational – November 4-5, 2006 at Martin Luther King sponsored by RMSC
• FAST Qualifier – November 18-19, 2006 at Fairland sponsored by FAST
• Blizzard Championship – December 1-3, 2006 at GMU/FFX sponsored by MAKO
• VSC II 12/U Meet – March 10-11, 2007 at South Run sponsored by SDS
• Mini Championships – March 10-11, 2007 at Olney sponsored by RMSC
• 12/U LJ Miller Meet – March 17-18, 2007 at South Run sponsored by SDS.
A motion was made, seconded and approved that all meets be sanctioned.
(2) SELECTION PROCESS FOR 2006 (AND FUTURE) LC ZONE ASSISTANT COACHES: Don presented Competition Committee’s request for approval for its recommended selection process for LC Zone Assistant Coaches. .A motion was made, seconded and approved to split the request into two parts to be voted on separately.
The first part of the selection process requested was that two coaches be selected at the 14& U LC Championship and two coaches at Senior Championship. If only four qualified coaches apply, then those four coaches would be accepted. Additionally, in the event that an overwhelming number of swimmers enter the meet, he would like the Age Group Chair and the Coaches Representatives to be granted the authority to appoint up to two additional coaches Without discussion, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adopt the selection process.
The second part of the selection process requested was that a 2 year term limit (i.e., 4 meets total) be instituted for Zone Team Coaches. A motion to establish a 2 year term limit failed (0-7) with John Hirschmann abstaining.
(3) CRITERIA FOR RECEIVING TRAVEL ASSISTANCE FOR 2006 US OPEN: The Board unanimously approved Competition Committee’s recommendation that travel assistance for the 2006 US Open be provided to athletes who participate in four swims during the PVS 2006 LC season, at least two of which are in PVS sponsored meets.
(4) SCHEDULING OF 2007 PVS SPONSORED LONG COURSE MEETS: The Board unanimously approved the following schedule: PVS Senior I/Age Group I June 10, 2007 PVS Distance June 16 (PM)-June 17 (AM), 2007 PVS Senior II/Age Group II June 24, 2007 PVS Senior LC Championship July 12-15, 2007 PVS Junior LC Championship July 12-15, 2007 PVS Age Group LC Championship July 19-22, 2007.
(5) SELECTION CRITERIA FOR PVS ATHLETE OF THE YEAR: At the request of Bill Marlin, the Board deferred action on this matter.
(6) ENTRY TIMES AND CRITERIA FOR PVS DISTANCE MEETS / EVENTS: The Board unanimously approved Competition Committee’s proposal on the matter.
AWARDING OF 2006-07 SC CHAMPIONSHIP MEETS: Following presentations by "Cy" Cyganiewicz of OCCS and Dan Jacobs of Machine as to each club’s desire to host PVS 14 & Under Championship, a motion was made, seconded and approved (with one abstention) to award the meet to Machine Aquatics. A motion to award the PVS Senior Championship Meet to Curl-Burke was approved with one dissenting vote.
OUTREACH ATHLETE REIMBURSEMENT TEMPLATE: Prior to the meeting, John Ertter had provided all Board members with a proposed form to be used by clubs to request reimbursement of PVS Meet Entry fees for Outreach Athletes. The Board agreed this form should be adopted and put into use. Don Riedlinger volunteered to prepare an amendment to Policy & Procedure as to the implementation of this program for presentation at the next Board of Director’s meeting.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Financial results for the period ending May 31, 2006 had been provided to the Board prior to the meeting. PVS’s current assets on hand as of May 31, 2006 were $666,675. The Board raised no questions regarding these reports.
USA-S SPRING CHAMPIONSHIP TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT: The Board was advised that requests had been received to provide travel assistance support to 3 PVS clubs on behalf of 14 athletes. All athletes had satisfied the requirements in order to be eligible for reimbursement. Two were submitted on an “appeal” basis since they were attending college outside of PVS’s territory. The Board approved payment of $450 per athlete to the appropriate clubs for these athletes.
PVS OFFICIALS REQUIREMENT: Bill Stephens expressed the need for PVS to motivate clubs to take seriously the requirement and obligation to recruit, train, and supply officials. After discussion, the proposal was amended to strike the proposed minimum level of activity and to establish the determination and assessment date of fines to be May 1 of each year. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to adopt the PVS Officials Requirement.
PVS EQUIPMENT CHARGES FOR LINDSEY J MILLER INVITATION MEET: A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to waive the PVS equipment charges assessed to VSC for the 2006 LJ Miller Invitational Meet. A second motion to waive the sanction fee and PVS equipment charges for this meet in 2007 passed unanimously.
SANCTION STATUS OF SDS SPRING SPRINT INVITATIONAL MEET: John Hirschmann provided background on SDS’s Spring Sprint Invitational Meet held on May 6, 2006 at Madeira School. PVS has been advised that no certified Referee was present. In addition, despite repeated requests, no Officials Report has been filed to provide for any extenuating circumstances as to why this requirement was not met. Consequently, the times have not been loaded into the various databases nor posted to the website. He recommended that the Board approve revoking the sanction. The view was expressed that formal Board action was not needed – such a revocation should be automatic since the meet was not properly officiated.
NEXT BOARD MEETING: The Chair announced that its next Board meeting will be held at River Falls Community Center on Tuesday, July 25th at 6:30 PM.
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at approximately at 10:25 pm.
PVS Administrative Assistant