AS APPROVED at the PVS Board Meeting – March 5, 2008
POTOMAC VALLEY SWIMMING
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
7:00 PM – WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2008
MCLEAN COMMUNITY CENTER
ATTENDANCE: Board Members: Greg York, Chair, Austin Auger, Art Davis, Boots Hall, Dan Jacobs, Bill Marlin, Jim Thompson, Ron Whalen. Non-voting Board Members: Jim Garner, Karl Hellmann. Executive Director: John Ertter. Individual Members: Janet Auger, John Hirschmann, Tim Husson and Terri Marlin.
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at approximately 7:00 pm by Greg York, General Chair.
AGENDA: John Ertter, Executive Director, provided the Board with a proposed Agenda that was adopted.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of the January 9, 2008 meeting were unanimously approved.
APPROVAL OF PVS CAMP: Terri Marlin, PVS Camp Coordinator, provided the Board with the preliminary plans to host a PVS Camp on Sunday, April 27th at Fairland. The proposed camp will be a Level II – addressing the needs of approximately fifty athletes ages 9-12 with a minimum of 3 BB times – at a registration cost of $20.00. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved to sanction the camp.
AWARDING OF 2007-08 PVS SPONSORED MEETS: After reviewing requests to host PVS sponsored meets for the 2007-08 Long Course Season, the Board unanimously voted the following awards:
It was noted that no bids had been received to host the PVS LC Distance meet scheduled for June 21-22, 2008.
2008 PVS LONG COURSE EASTERN ZONE HEAD COACH AND ASSISTANT HEAD COACH: The Board voted to endorse Competition’s election of Mike Kraeuter as 2008 EZ LC Head Coach and Peter McDonough as 2008 EZ LC Assistant Head Coach.
2008 PVS SHORT COURSE EASTERN ZONE COACHING STAFF: John Cyganiewicz and Mike Kraeuter had previously been approved by the Board to serve as Head Coach and Assistant Head Coach, respectively. The Board voted to approve Competition’s election of Kristin Bryant, Shelley Gesker, Nathan Meadows and Steve Mennard as Assistant Coaches.
ADDITION OF 2009 PVS B/BB CHAMPIONSHIP MEET: Competition endorsed the addition to the PVS schedule of the 2009 PVS B/BB Championships to be held on February 20-22, 2009. The Board accepted and approved this recommendation.
ELIGIBLE CONSIDERATION TIMES FOR SELECTION OF PVS 2008 EASTERN ZONE SHORT COURSE CHAMPIONSHIPS: Competition recommended that last year’s criteria regarding eligible consideration times for the selection process for the PVS 2008 EZ SC Championships be continued. [See http://www.pvswim.org/0708meet/08ez_sc_times_14U.pdf for 14/U Athletes and http://www.pvswim.org/0708meet/08ez_sc_times_15-18.pdf Athletes.] The Board accepted and approved this recommendation.
ENTRY WAIVER FOR 2008 PVS JUNIOR LC CHAMPIONSHIPS: Competition endorsed Senior Chair, Riley Eaton’s, recommendation that Rick Curl’s request to permit participation of approximately 8-10 Australian athletes in the 2008 PVS Junior LC Championships be granted. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved by the Board to grant the exception to the closed meet.
CLUB MEET SANCTION REQUESTS FOR THE PERIOD SEPTEMBER 1, 2008 TO APRIL 30, 2009: Marlin reviewed Competition Committee’s endorsement of the following meets:
For the Period April 1, 2008 to August 31, 2008:
· Welcome to Summer – RMSC – May 17-18, 2008 – Rockville (replacement for Bunkey Lewis Mini Meet)
· FISH Just Swim Again LC Derby – FISH – May 17-18, 2008 – GMU
· Maryland States – RMSC – June 6-8, 2008 – Rockville
· Swim Like a FISH Invitational – FISH – June 14-15, 2008 – GMU
For the Period September 1, 2008 to April 30, 2009
· PEAK All Freestyle – PEAK – either October 5, 2008 (1st choice) or October 4, 2008 (2nd choice) – PGS&LC (date dependent upon Redskins’ schedule -- Age Group Chair was given authority to approve final date)
· Harvest Moon – HAAC – October 11-12, 2008 – Herndon
· MSSC All Freestyle – MSSC – October 11-12, 2008 – Fairland
· Victor 12/U Invitational – SDS -- October 11-12, 2008, South Run
· Senior Circuit – PEAK – October 25-26, 2008 (1st choice), October 18-19, 2008 (2nd choice) or November 22-23, 2008 (3rd choice) – PGS&LC (dates dependent upon Redskins’ schedule – Age Group Chair was given authority to approve final date)
· MSSC Senior Meet – MSSC – November 1-2, 2008 – Fairland
· Swim & Rock – SDS – November 21-23, 2008 – Oak Marr
· FAST Qualifier – FAST – November 22-23, 2008 – Fairland
· Pilgrim Pentathlon – CUBU – November 23, 2008 – Claude Moore
· Christmas Championships – MSSC – December 5-7, 2008 – Fairland
· Machine Turkey Claus Championships – MACH – December 5-7, 2008 – Takoma
· Tom Dolan Invitational – CUBU – December 11-14, 2008 – TBD
· Sport Fair Winter Classic – PM – December 19-21, 2008 – TBD
· 14/Under Polar Bear Invitational – SDS – January 10-11, 2009—South Run
· Snowball Splash – CUBU – January 11, 2009 – American University
· Potomac Marlin JO Qualifier – PM – February 7-8, 2009 – Cub Run
· FISH Qualifier – FISH – February 7-8, 2009 – Spring Hill
· President’s Day Classic – OCCS – February 14-16, 2009 – Freedom Center
· Machine/York Qualifier – MACH/YORK – February 28-March 1, 2009 – Warrenton
· Spring Championships – MSSC – March 27-29, 2009 -- Fairland
· Early Bird LC – MSSC – May 2-3, 2009 – Fairland
The Board agreed to provisionally approve all club meets with the understanding that they may be placed on the PVS calendar, but a sanction not be formally granted until receipt of the name of the Referee responsible for each meet. Following a motion and second, the motion was approved.
The Board next discussed a requirement that all future meet announcements include a section identifying the “Referee Responsible for the Meet.” Following a motion and second, the Board voted to adopt this requirement.
UPDATE ON PVS MEMBERSHIP STUDY: Prior to the meeting, Jim Thompson, Strategic Chair, distributed to all Board members an Update on the PVS Membership Study. He also provided a handout illustrating the density of PVS registrations in Fairfax County. He indicated that his next steps were: (1) to examine the end of season extracts provided by the PVS Registrar, (2) provide finer granularity analysis on PVS Membership at the March Board meeting, and (3) prepare a report for the upcoming House of Delegates meeting.
REQUEST FOR TRAVEL ASSISTANCE FOR USA-S SELECT CAMP ATTENDANCE: John Ertter, Executive Director, informed the Board that he had received a request from the parent of a PVS athlete for travel assistance for the athlete to attend an Eastern Zone Select Camp in Buffalo, NY from June 2-5, 2008. Noting that no funds had been budgeted for this expense, he cited where PVS Policies & Procedures state that PVS will provide support of up too $300 for said assistance. At his recommendation, a motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved provide up to $300 travel reimbursement assistance for attendance at the USA-S Select Camp as long as the appropriate requirements are met.
ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISION: Art Davis, Administrative Chair, presented a handout outlining future PVS membership registration fees. He explained that the impetus for creating the document was an inquiry from a member club working on its next year’s budget. The Board endorsed posting the document on the PVS website following verification of the numbers.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Prior to the meeting, the Executive Director’s monthly report had been distributed to all members of the Board. Ertter emphasized his need for budget input from all Board members to enable him to prepare a draft 2008-09 Budget. He announced his intent to present an initial draft at the March 5, 2008 Board meeting.
OFFICIALS COMMITTEE REPORT: Jim Van Erden, Officials Committee Chair, submitted a written report.
OTHER REPORTS: York informed the Board that Janet, Auger, PVS Administrative Assistant, had submitted her 90-day notice of resignation and that a committee has been formed to hire her replacement. A position description and request for applications will be posted on the PVS website within ten days.
York announced that the 2008 House of Delegates meeting had been scheduled for May 21, 2008, McLean Community Center at 6:30 PM. He proposed and the Board endorsed the formation of a Nomination Committee comprised of Riley Eaton, Jim Garner, John Hirschmann, Brian Pawlowicz and himself.
York next recognized Boots Hall on her selection as the January recipient of the Maxwell Excellence Award for service to local swimming.
NEXT BOARD MEETING: The Chair announced that its next Board meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 5th, 6:30 PM at McLean Community Center.
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 9:45 PM.
Respectfully submitted by,