Draft Minutes until approved at the December Board of
6030 Lee Highway, Arlington,
November 9, 2009
to order at 7:02 pm
of Clarification, the Eastern Zone IMX meet scheduled for February 26-28, 2010
will be sponsored by the Potomac Marlins.
of October 12, 2009 Meeting Minutes;; Terri noted to
the Board that 2 amendments have been made to the posted draft, which were
highlighted for the Board before the minutes were adopted. A motion was made
to approve the October 12, 2009 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes as amended,
it was seconded and approved.
for sanction for IMX Meet; A motion was made to grant a PVS Sanction for the
Eastern Zone IMX meet February 26-28, 2009, it was seconded and approved.
The question was raised as to whether or not the IMX meet will be
considered the same as a National or Zone meet and assessed a splash fee. [After
the meeting it was researched and determined that the Eastern Zone IMX meet
falls under the same criteria provided for in PVS’s P&P (a meet awarded by
a body higher than PVS) and thus a sanction fee will not assessed by PVS.]
Known Items Potentially Requiring a Board Vote
of PVS Vision Statement: Jim Thompson has submitted two versions of a
proposed PVS Vision statement;
comments were made including: that the current version is too long,
appears to be patting ourselves on our backs a little too much and should
be worded in the future tense.
is open to all suggestions and comments; he has researched “Vision
Statements” and has found that they can be in either future or present
will rework the vision statement based on any additional comments and
will send out another version. Any additional comments can be sent to him
by email prior to the December BoD meeting. He
will bring a revision to the Board in December.
Safety Chair Position Description; Jack Neill submitted a proposed Job
Description for PVS Safety Coordinator
Ertter recommended that more details be added to the job description.
Including a better description as to the process of sending reports to
Stephens recommends that the Safety Coordinator have more (authority)
within the LSC and with the Board because of the importance of the
position. This may require modification to the PVS by-laws.
Ertter and Bill Stephens will work with Jack to finalize the PVS Safety
Coordinator’s job description.
to modify current PVS Investment policy: Bill Stephens reported that his
report was only just recently submitted to the Audit Committee and stated
he would like to do more work on it before bringing it before the Board
for their consideration.
goal is to maximize the investment return to PVS consistent with
appropriate steps to preserve capital and provide access to the
investments if necessary.
Stephens will work on writing a more comprehensive report to send to the
Board. Once all Board members have the opportunity to receive the
recommendation and read all relevant reports they make the necessary
decisions. It was recommended the next draft be completed in advance of
the December Board Meting.
dates for next several Board meetings: all members agree on the following
dates and all meeting will take place at the Overlee Community
18, 2010 (MLK Birthday)
15, 2010 (President’s Day)
Feedback on the November Open; The Athlete Representatives, who were both
at Takoma, were asked how they felt the November Open went this year. In
general they felt the meet was well run, they liked having assigned/split
warm-up. They didn’t seem to have notice any problems with the air quality
and liked having the team from Navy invited. They commented that it was
nice to be able to swim different swimmers where they didn’t know what to
expect from them. The only negative thing they had to say about Takoma was
the drive from Northern Virginia.
asked the three Athlete Reps to work on and present an “Athlete Vision”
statement, at the January Board Meeting.
talked to some athletes during the November Open and asked them what they
thought about the order of events; Most swimmers commented that they were
comfortable with the order of events (distance kids were fine with the
long events at the end); What they thought of Takoma, Most athletes liked
the pool, felt the pool temp and air quality was good.
board member asked; why we are swimming the 50s of strokes during the
response was that a couple of years ago CCM requested to add these
events to the Open meets to help retain the 13-14 boys, since many of
them are into the “fun and glamour” events.
Significant Items Requiring Update Reports
MM 3.0 Licenses: Jim Garner
contacted Virginia Swimming while Tim Husson looked at several other LSC’s
arrangements with Hy-Tek. It was found that they all have an
“Organizational Licenses” to allow them to perform the administrative
functions of the LSC. With that knowledge Jim has now purchased the Organizational
License for PVS’s administrative purposes. In addition PVS is able to use
it to run up to 4 meets annually. Jim stated that he informed Hy-Tek that
PVS will use it’s license for PVS Age Group and
Senior Champs both Long Course and Short Course this year. We will have
the option to change the meets if needed, but will need to let Jim know so
he can inform Hy-Tek. The license will need to be renewed annually and PVS
can designate the meets it wishes to use it for in subsequent years.
Project Update: Hirschmann gave a report on the status of this effort; 29
of the 44 items needed to achieve Level 1 have been completed and
electronically submitted to USA Swimming. He then reviewed the status
of the remaining 15 items. Elections have now been conducted by the Board
of Review regarding their officers (Kerry Ellet will remain the Committee
Chair, Janet Auger was voted as Secretary and Ward Foley was voted in as
Vice-Chair); with this information two additional items are able to be
completed. We are still in need of a description of how PVS processes
Report of Occurrences; in the absence of a permanent PVS Safety Chair,
John Ertter, as acting PVS Safety Chair, said he will prepare it. There
are 4 items that pertain to the registration process. Once the annual
registration process slows down, Art will have Sumie prepare the needed
information. We are still waiting for the draft minutes of the May 2009
HOD minutes to be completed and posted; the delay is due to the missing
information that needs to be sent to the administrator. The PVS By-Laws
have been updated to reflect the changes voted at the May 2009 House
meeting, but have not yet been posted to the PVS web site. Two items
pertain to how PVS authorizes sanctioned meets and how we authorize
Approved and Observed swims. In the former case the material needs to be
updated, in the later case material needs to be prepared.
& P: Art Davis
informed the Board that he has marked up the prior version of the P &
P to reflect changes voted on by the Board or House since December 2003.
He indicated this is in the form of pen and ink changes. There was then
discussion as to how best to distribute it. Art asked the Operations
Chair, CCM Chair and Finance Chair if they wished to review what is in his
markup to make sure all proposed revisions are complete and correct.
has been suggested that several others look over the current revisions;
Art will pass it on to John Hirschmann
for review, once it is cleaned up a little more it will then be scanned
and distributed to Board Members for review.
of New Meet Financial Management Rules: John Ertter reported that all
information and financial reports from the October Open have been turned
in with 100% accuracy. He was not sure whether to attribute this to the
new rules the Board adopted at the October meeting or his communicating
more precisely with the Meet Directors what is expected from them.
on PVS Equipment Operations: For the November Open Equipment was delivered
and set up at Cub Run Thursday evening. Friday morning equipment was
delivered and set up at Lee
resulted in a delay of the delivery of equipment to Takoma due to heavy
traffic so that it arrived 45 minutes into warm up, therefore the Takoma #2
site was delayed in starting. This caused the
meet to run past contract hours.
Open; The January Open is currently scheduled for January 23-24, 2010 at
four sites; MLK, PGS&LC (1 site) and Fairland (2 sites). Ertter has
received an inquiry from Doug Sutherland that there are Prince George’s HS
meets the same weekend and he is requesting the use of Fairland for the PG
HS meets. Ertter asked the Board whether PVS should try to get Takoma
instead of PGS&LC for this meet? What is the
impact on the facility? The Board observed that while we wish to be
cooperative with other competitive swim programs in our territory, we have
also made commitments to these pools many months ago to rent their
facility and they presumably made their plans for that weekend based on
that and are assuming that they will be received substantial rental income
as a result.
- Greg York has asked John Ertter to discuss
this with PGS&LC and to look into the appropriateness of getting
another pool. John will send information to the Board in the next few
Swimposium & 2009 Convention Expenses: It appears that we have under
spent our budget for the Swimposium by about $6,000 due to a combination
of more registrations than expected and fewer expenses. For Convention,
John Ertter still has not yet received all receipts and expense reports
from everyone at this time and has asked that all receipts be turned in as
quickly as possible so that he can finish up his report. He expects that
this line item will be over budge and thus will offset the unexpected
budget gain from the Swimposium.
USA Swimming Diversity Conference is coming up this coming weekend. There
will be multiple representative from PVS; John Ertter who will attend as a
presenter; Sean Link, PVS representative and Art Lopez. Two others have
expressed interest and will most likely attend as well.
Scholar Athlete Awards has now been posted. A Flash mail will be sent
asking the coaches to inform the athletes about it being posted.
The two Maccabiah game athletes have now submitted all appropriate
documentation. Therefore both teams will now be paid their grants.
Foley has submitted a Communication Plan. Greg has asked for input from
members of the Board and respond to Ward and John with comments.
was felt the proposal before it is adopted should include additional
need to assess the facts regarding each situation and have only one
person designated as the PVS spokesperson.
have recently had two situations that involved deaths in our community
and we as a Board have had a difficult time agreeing what (if anything)
should be said or posted to our website, how promptly and by whom. The
Board is looking into creating guidelines for situations such as these.
general feeling is that we have a need for two different plans; A Crisis
Plan for cases of member misconduct, death or other major occurrences
and a plan to communicate other time sensitive information such
meet/pool emergencies due to weather, pool unavailability, etc.
Dave will be checking in on equipment before the next round of meets. All
Meet Directors from November Open were asked to mark and identify broken
equipment. Hopefully this was done at each site of the November Open. This
will help Dave better determine what needs to be fixed and/or replaced.
was discussion of having several individuals meet at a mutually
convenient time and place to beth inventory all PVS equipment and
determine whether it is still in working order. The PVS Admin Assistant
was to poll Board members to find such a date.
DC Rec equipment at Takoma equipment is in poor repair. Several people
have discussed the equipment issues with Sean Link from DC pools. Bill
Marlin has a meeting set up with Sean regarding their equipment in the
next few weeks. Link is very receptive to suggestions on how to improve
both the equipment and atmosphere at Takoma. Link has a contact at
Colorado Timing Systems and plans on contacting them for a repair quote.
Education. A coach has submitted an application for Continuing Education
to attend the Diversity Summit November 12-15, 2009. Greg made a motion
to award the grant, The motion is seconded and approved
Education Seminar held at Howard
October 31, was very well attended with 100 athletes and parents. Several
swimmers and parents attended from the Maryland LSC as well. Several
college coaches presented, as well as the Head of Compliance from Howard University. Many parent and
athletes have asked to hold this event again next year.
Representative Elections: It was suggested to conduct the Athlete’s
Rep Election during the Spring Championships Meets instead of during the
summer Championship meets. They feel that there are more athletes in
attendance and therefore more athletes will participate. This will require
a By-Law change.
see report submitted
see report submitted. Terri handles all posting of the Meet Announcements
and Event Files, and Tim posts the Meet Results. Tim has been working on
updating and cleaning up the website. Tim will
purchasing and testing a broadband card for the use of real time results
for our spring time Championship meets.
no report submitted
no report submitted
Riley suggested that all IMX events get identified in all meet
announcements for upcoming meets.
Group; see report submitted; Bill spoke with the Open Water Chair from the
Maryland LSC and is setting up the Open Water event for the Eastern Zone
LC Age Group Zones in August 2010 at the Naval Academy.
- Officials: See submitted report. The Clinics have been a tremendous success. Over 300 people are in the
pipeline including 22 possible new referees. A request from the Officials
Committee to the PVS Senior coaches; please teach the younger coaches how
to work with the younger kids as to how to prepare for a meet. They need
to learn what the different whistles mean; and they need to tell the kids
the heat and lanes that they will be swimming in.
Planning; no report submitted.
Adjourn. A motion made to adjourn at 9:49 pm. The motion was
seconded and approved.
Next meeting: Monday December 14, 2010 at Overlee; dinner at
6:30, meeting at 7:00 pm