Draft Minutes until approved at the March Board Meeting
Potomac Valley Swimming
Overlee Community Center
6030 Lee Highway,
February 9, 2009
Attendance: Greg York, Jim Garner, John
Hirschmann, Bill Marlin,
Tim Husson, Jim Van Erden, Corey Wallace, Boots Hall, Bob Vincent,
Pawlowicz, Virginia Ratcliff, Tara Banks, CJ Fiala, John Ertter, Dan
Jacobs, Paris Jacobs, Art Davis, Bill Stephens and Terri Marlin
Call to Order: At 7:00 pm by Greg York
Items Requiring Board Action
- Approval of January 12, 2009 meeting minutes: The
Board agreed to the addition of athlete rep report and addition of travel
reimbursement motion made by Linda Klopenstein to the minutes that had
previously been distributed for review. Motion to approve minutes as modified,
was made, seconded and approved.
- Policy and Procedure Amendments: see motions as reported
- Motion #1: To add new required language in meet
announcements for all meets sanctioned or approved by PVS occurring on
or after 5/15/09. (source: Admin Division initiated, based on new USA
Swimming rule.) The motion was made, seconded and approved.
- Motion #2: Art pulled this Motion after he had further
discussion and clarification with USA Swimming. USA Swimming has
clarified that an Age Group record is not an American Record for the
purpose of requiring an engineer certified measurement of the pool to
validate the record.
- Motion #3: A new order of presentation of P&P
was proposed and adopted. The topic of all current policy and procedures
would remain in the reorganized material. To remove the PVS Policies
and Procedures from showing current status and re-name the section
“Policies and Procedures, Under Construction” (source: Admin
Division initiated.) The currently posted P&P would then be put in a
separate “Archive” section for reference. The motion was made,
seconded, and approved
- Davis clarified that the goal is to update and improve
the Policies and Procedures, not do away with them; the current
policies and procedures will remain in effect until modified and
rescinded by the Board.
- Black History Swim Meet
- Cullen Jones Fee: At the last minute Brendan, from
DC Parks and Recreation was able to secure getting Cullen Jones to come
in to make an appearance at the meet. He will be shaking hands, making
brief remarks and signing autographs.
A motion was made to by $6,000 of Cullen Jones appearance fee on behalf
of DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DCPR). In exchange for paying
this fee, DCPR will provide PVS with a permit for the use of the Takoma
Community Center Swimming Pool for the 2009 November Open Swim Meet to
be held November 6-9, 2009 at no charge.
- The motion seconded and approved
- Steps are being put into place to make sure this is a
secure deal for this year.
- USA Swimming has committed to do whatever they can do to
make sure this is a premier event. They are very excited about this and
will be here for the whole weekend sitting in the stands and talking to
- Hospitality: The Board was informed that the
District would not free up any money to do hospitality for officials,
coaches and that the Parent’s Booster Club would not do so in connections
with their concessions for athletes and spectators. So PVS has offered
to help out with the funding.
A motion was made to donate up to $2,000 to the Black History Meet to
be sued for providing officials, coaches and volunteers hospitality for
the meet. The donation will be made after the meet, based upon receipts. The motion was seconded and approved
- Officials: We seem to be in fairly good shape for the
Black History Meet. Several emails have been sent out to the PVS
Officials requesting volunteers sign up for the Black History meet and
the response has been fairly good. There are also several Officials
coming in from other LSC, including Cecil Gordon from Delaware who will
serve primarily as a Deck Referee for the 13 & Over sessions.
- Equipment Rental:
John Ertter reported that a satisfactory solution has been made with
the DC government for them to pay their outstanding bill for equipment
rental for the 2008 Black History Meet. He is expecting a check from
- 2009 Budget Proposals and Timetables
- John Ertter reminded the Board that we have 3 months to
get a budget together before the May House of Delegates meeting. As with
many things when we look back there are always a few things we could have
done better. It is being recommended that schedule 2 meetings in the
month of March; where in one we do “normal business itemsf” then in the other we
only discuss the budget. The second meeting should not be called a Board
meeting, but rather a meeting of the “committee as a whole”. Ertter will
get a zero based budget ready, assuming nothing changes for that meeting.
Some discussion continued including the pragmatics of getting the Board
together for an additional meeting. In lieu of an additional meeting it
was decided that on April 13 we will have a shortened Official Board
Meeting limited to 30 minutes, then have a two hour budget planning session.
- 2009 Swimposium
- It has been confirmed with USA Swimming that since PVS
did not receive any funding from USA Swimming for the last Swimposium we
held in 2007, we are eligible for funding from USA Swimming for 2009. Paris
Jacobs indicated that she is prepared to oversee arrangements for the lanning
and preparations of a Swimposium. The board endorsed having a
Swimposium in the fall of 2009.
- Are there any other New Initiatives for the inclusion of
the PVS FY 2010 budget?
- Two items were brought up for consideration for next
year budget: 1. Open water swim clinic (part of Swimposium or separate)
2. Open water pool swim POW (Pool Open Water); “PVS” to host two of
these type of meets
- PVS Equipment Operations & Rental Program Update
- The trailer (which was approved at the January 09 BoD
meeting) has not yet been purchased. Ertter wanted to make sure that both
PVS and anyone driving and pulling this trailer would have adequate insurance.
Risk Management says there is no separate insurance policy available. Accordingly
PVS may have to severally restrict who can actually tow the trailer.
Although PVS has some insurance that may cover an individual assisting
PVS as a volunteer, the primary responsibility for the person pulling the
trailer will fall upon the individual’s personal policy. If it is a PVS contractor
pulling the trailer then PVS is more likely liable. The plans are still
on track to purchase a trailer, however it was agreed that the insurance
issues needs to be satisfactorily worked out and completely understood
first before the purchase takes place.
- USA Swimming Membership Registrar’s Workshop being held in
San Diego, CA; April 3-5 – Terri Marlin has been asked to attend.
workshop: being held at USA Swimming in Colorado Springs, April 3-5;
Bill Marlin has been asked to attend since neither of the PVS
Disability Co-Chairs are able to attend.
- Diversity Workshop; being held at USA Swimming in Colorado Springs (checking on dates) Corey Wallace has been asked to attend.
- USA Swimming Convention: A Motion is made to reimburse a
PVS coach who attended for their registration fee for the USA Swimming Convention, it was seconded and approved.
- Fairfax County Grades: Athlete Rep
report from the January Board meeting was sent to Dave DiNardo, as
Scholar-Athlete Chair, who has agreed to do whatever the Board recommends.
(Note: Fairfax County subsequently decided to change its policy starting
with the 2009-2010 academic year; however Loudoun county still has a
policy similar to the current Fairfax County practice.)
- SLEEP 2009: Athlete reps ask that PVS to post the Fairfax County Public School survey on the PVS website. It was discussed that it is
important that everyone in Fairfax County fill out the SLEEP 2009 survey,
it is the only information the Fairfax County School Board will use to
show who is for and against the SLEEP Proposal. The webmaster will be
given the information to post on the web site.
- PVS equipment is being rented to the Fairfax County
HS Northern Regional’s Swim Meet being held at Oak Marr; they will also
like to rent the two 4 line scoreboards and a single line event board,
because the in house scoreboard is not longer operable nor practical to
repair. There was some concerns expressed and discussed about whose
responsibility it would be if the scoreboard were to get damaged.
- Motion: to allow FCPS to rent the two 4 line
scoreboards and the one line event scoreboard; it was seconded and
approved, with 1 opposed.
- Eastern Zone Meeting in Ft. Lauderdale
- Who will attend: Greg, Riley, Bill (both as part of the EZ
Technical Committee), Art, Terri, Paris as part of Zone staff and Boots
at the Eastern Zone Secretary, all other board members are welcome to
attend at their own expense. The other possibility attendees…Dan, Manga,
Tim, John Ertter, Bill Stephens
- Travel Assistance:
- For the Maccabiah Games: we will table this until the
March meeting to wait to hear from our Travel Assistance chair so she can
explain the history of the PVS travel assistance for this meet. PVS has
one swimmer and one coach participating in the meeting in Israel. (Two others are listed as potential alternates)
- The amount of travel assistance for the 2008 SC USA
Swimming Junior Champs was decided at the May 2008 HoD meeting; however
this was several month prior to the cuts being announced by USA-S. The
cuts were slower than expected; therefore the number of PVS athletes who
attended was greater than anticipated. The total amount initially
budgeted was determined by multiplying the number of expected qualifying
athletes (12) by $250, so that $3000 was set. Since the cuts were slower
than expected more athletes qualified and attended, thus it was
recommended that the total amount be increased to $7500. Competition
Committee recommended $7500 at the October 08 meeting, which would give a
full $250 share to up to 30 swimmers. There was concern from some members
of the Board that a precedent of increasing the amount budgeted for a
specific meet after the annual budget was approved by the House was being
set. Others noted that this meet had to be budgeted just after it was
announced and before the QT’s were known, therefore making it difficult
to budget. It was concluded that this fact would be reflected in the
minutes, so that action on this particular meet is not viewed as setting
a new precedent.
A motion was made to authorize an increase in PVS Travel Assistance
money from $3000 to $7500 for the December 2008 SC Junior National
Meet. If the increase is fully utilized it will result in an $4500 over
expenditure of the budget which was approved by HOD at $3000. The
maximum reimbursement per athlete will remain at $250. This motion
was made after reviewing the number of PVS athletes who competed in the
meet which was significantly great then in previous years. The motion was seconded and approved. [Notice to the House was
given prior to the February BoD meeting that this was on the agenda.]
- Athlete Representatives: nothing new to report
other than what was brought up under new business.
- Executive Director: see reports submitted: The
auditor’s report (also see letter from the auditors) came back clean, however if anyone has any additional
questions, or if the Audit Committee would like to meet with the
auditors, PVS will set up a meeting.
- Administrative: see report submitted
- all PVS forms are now available on the PVS website
- Black History; posted the psych sheet and sessions
reports, will be moved to home page to give the meet more recognition.
- CTS can now be upgraded to use a USB port for printers,
but will require an upgrade
- PGS & LC equipment: worked well at Jan Open, Tim not
overly about concerned the equipment.
- Working on updating many of the forms on the website so
more things can be submitted online.
- Finance/Accounting: see report submitted
- Operations: no report submitted
- Senior Division: see report submitted
- Age Group Division:
- Brief discussion with GMU about Zones for Summer 09,
waiting to hear from them.
- Motion made to approve the detailed qualification
criteria for 2009 SCY Zones. The criteria pertain exactly which times
are eligible for consideration. These will be the same as used in 2007
and 2008 except for the specific dates. Motion includes that all
times for Zone consideration are from 9/1/08 up to and including the
cutoff date for the age group (14 & U Champs and Sr. Champ (15-18).
It was seconded and approved. (include link to website)
- Coaches Representatives: get write up from Manga
- Officials: See report submitted and letter from EZ Officials Chair regarding Certification Meets.
- Just wanted to send a quick reminder to
the coaches; that it is the coach’s responsibility to tell the referee
about swimmers with disabilities.
- Strategic Planning: no report submitted
- Next BOD Meeting: March 9, this is between Jr and Sr
Champs. The April 13 meeting will be a 30 minute formal BoD meeting, the
remainder will be to work on the PVS 2010 Budget). The 13th is
the Monday after Easter
- Motion for Adjournment 9:39 pm. Made, seconded and