Minutes approved at the April 13, 2009
6030 Lee Highway,
March 9, 2009
Art Davis, John Hirschmann,
Riley Eaton, Bill Marlin, Dan
Jacobs, Manga Dalizu, Brian Pawlowicz,
Linda Klopfenstein, Boots Hall, Ward Foley, Jim Thompson, Tara Banks,
Virginia Ratcliff, CJ Fiala and Terri Marlin
to Order: Greg calls the meeting to order at 7:00 pm
Requiring Board Action
- Approval of February 9, 2009 Meeting Minutes: motion
made to approve the February 9, 2009 minutes; seconded and approved.
We need 20% of total participation to be athletes at HOD (if they are
less than 20%, the weight of each athlete’s vote will be increased so
that athletes votes in total will equate to 20%of the total votes
cast.); The Board encourages each team to send one athlete’s name to
the General Chair, so that he may nominate them to be an athlete rep to
the annual HOD meeting. Since the PVS By-Laws dictates that athletes must
be at least 13 years of age in order to vote for an athlete representative to the Board of Directors, the board decided
that the minimum age for an Athlete HOD representative should also be
13. Flash Mail to be sent regarding athlete participation.
list of attendee to the EZ Meeting in Ft. Lauderdale
currently is Greg York,
Art Davis, John Ertter, Bill Marlin, Dan Jacobs, Boots Hall, Paris
Jacobs, Terri Marlin and Bill Stephens, please contact Terri if any other
Board Member plan on attending.
- Greg York informed the Board
that Karl Hellmann has resigned from the PVS Board, effective
immediately. He is moving to San Diego for his job. Greg
stated that he will wait the May HoD meeting to fill the position, rather
than make an appointment. The Nominating Committee will be asked to
nominate candidate(s) for this position.
meeting is scheduled for Wednesday May 20, 2009. [Subsequent to the
Board Meeting it was announced that the meeting will be held at the Fairlington
Community Center in Arlington]
of Nominating Committee for PVS BoD and Board of Review positions up for
election at May HOD Meeting; The General Chair nominated John
Hirschmann as the Chair of the Nominating Committee, and
Linda Klopfenstein; Dan Jacobs
and Brian Pawlowicz to be members. The Board approved this
- Travel Assistance; 2008 SC Nationals & SC
Seniors; only one request received (out of 10), Linda recommends
acceptance of this one travel reimbursement request and stated it satisfied
all requirements; 1 share at $450. All Board members present voted in
- SC Juniors in December 2008; of the 35 swimmer who
competed at SC Juniors, travel reimbursement requests were received on
behalf of 27 swimmers. Fifteen were granted for a total of $3,750. One
request received as an appeal was denied due to precedent from prior
years (swimmer was too ill to travel a the last moment and did not go to
the meet). All Board members present voted in favor.
- Eleven requests were incomplete as submitted; the
coach did not list a swim in a Potomac Valley SC meet of at least one of
their events swum at Juniors. Since is appeared that most of the
swimmers had swum such events in PVS, the Board voted to grant the
shares if/when the proper "paperwork" was submitted.
one athlete has asked PVS to be partially reimbursed for their
participation in the Maccabiah Games to be held in Tel Aviv, Israel
this July (this meet is held once every 4 years). Linda recommends that
this athlete only gets the money after their participation in the meet.
USA Swimming is not financially supporting USA athlete who participate
in this meet. Greg made the recommendation that if you make the Junior
Team, then you get a “Junior Share”, if you make the “Open Team” then
they get a “Senior Share”. The motion was made, seconded and approved.
The reimbursement will be considered a Grant.
LC and 2009-2010 SC PVS Meet Bids & Awards; The four members of the
Competition Committee (Bill Marlin, Riley Eaton, Dan
Jacobs and Manga Dalizu) recommend to the Board the
- LC Meets 2009:
PM (Fairland) and MACH (Lee District)
2: PM (Lee District) and FAST (Fairland)
and Senior Champs: CUBU (UMD)
Champs: FBST (Fairland)
bid for LC Distance meet (Takoma) in June: It was announced at the meeting that
CUBU would consider putting in a bid for the LC Distance meet.
motion is made to accept all above club bids for the 2009 PVS LC
schedule; motion is seconded and approved.
Open: Marlins (Mt. Vernon), CUBU (Fairland), OCCS (Fairland)
Open; FISH (Cub Run), PM (Takoma), FBST (Takoma), OCCS (Lee District)
Open: FAST(PGS&LC), MACH (PGS&LC), RMSC (MLK) [subject to change if a 4th site is added]
& Under Champs: FBST (Lee District)
Champs: RMSC (MLK)
Champs: CUBU (GMU)
& Under Junior Olympics: MACH
motion is made to accept all above club bids for the 2009-1010 PVS
SC schedule; motion is
seconded and approved.
is also recommended that a fourth site is added for the Jan Open and
Fairland has offered to rent their pool. This will be taken to the
Competition Committee Meeting in May for their input.
Information: Bill Marlin will be attending the Disability Conference in
April. Bill has been in contact with several community members about
Disability Swimming. He has asked them about what PVS can do as an LSC to
reach out to the Disabled Athletes. Bill would like to run a Disability
Clinic in the spring of 2010. There is an athlete who is a Junior
National Level swimmer in her disability class, who is willing to
demonstrate to other disabled swimmers. Bill has also found additional
organizations that cater to the disability swimmers; Bill would like to see
these athletes become part of our Diversity and Outreach athlete program.
He has been given a fairly large list of organizations that we can reach
out to. Either PVS, or individual PVS clubs could do so.
board was advised that PVS is now the 5th largest LSC,
however USAS informs us that we are at the bottom in terms of Disability
we are the most geographically compact LSC in the country, our area has
many other opportunities, therefore we may not really be doing as badly
as it seems.
wants to show that PVS is trying to reach out to all Diversity, Outreach
and Disability athletes. We would like to try to set up opportunities
the April Budget meeting to look towards adding some of these programs.
County Community forums – PVS Attendance Designated Attendees: see
Executive Director Report
will be 10 Open forums, about one per month, with the Fairfax County
Park Authority. PVS is encouraging teams in Fairfax
participate. Both John Ertter and Greg York plan on attending
several of these meetings.
County Parks & Rec and Arlington
Schools is considering changing their
management structure and are inviting teams to contribute their views.
There are two PVS teams that use the Washington Lee Pool. This is an
opportunity to hear about the proposed fees and management change. Must
hear from the public to endorse these proposals.
Risk Management Workshop; June 12-14, 2009 in Oklahoma
City, OK; John
Ertter to attend with Board Approval;
addition Registrar: Terri Marlin, Disability: Bill Marlin. Greg made
a motion to approve the three PVS representative to attend the list
conference/workshop scheduled; motion was seconded and approved.
Budget – Identification of new initiatives for 2009-2010 (These are
items that will be brought up at the April meeting of the Board when it
meets to review the 2009-2010 budget it will present to the House for
Water (in a pool) Camp
is there a better way to handle Travel Reimbursement
1. Will we need additional equipment if we are going to start running 4
sites of Open Meets. 2. What do teams think about the possibility of
teams purchasing their own equipment, 3. How much do we continue to
Water Meet in conjunction with Summer Sr. Champs
of April 2009 Board meeting Agenda: We will meet for about 30 minutes to
meet on Board issues; It need to include Nominating Committee Report and
General Chair’s At-large vote and at-large athlete reps. . Compensation
Committee will also meet to discuss how much will be funded for
compensation to the PVS’s employees and contractors.
- Diversity initiatives – see Executive Director
History Meet went well; We received lots of positive feedback; Cullen
Jones came, swam a few exhibition heats and signed autographs. There was
a delay in beginning on Sunday morning due to poor water quality;
DC Government was very thankful to PVS for helping out with the meet.
is a signed contract for PVS to use Takoma for a two course meet (2 ½
day format) for the November Open in exchange for PVS paying for Cullen
Jones’ appearance at the Black History Meet
has paid all equipment rental fees to date, this includes both the 2008
and 2009 Black History Meet equipment rental fees.
is a possibility of using a pool or space in DC for our Swimposium,
which would include a Diversity Track. The city is interested, but we
need to check into whether the proposed space is appropriate for our
needs and/or we can be confident construction will be completed in
- Old Business
- New Business
Pawlowicz commented that for Senior Champs March 12-15 at George
equipment can be delivered at anytime due to the fact that GMU is on
Spring Break. It was recommended that Brian email equipment manager and
cc the General Chair and Admin Assistant.
all of the March Championship Meets, there will need to be several
discussions on what to do with and how best to handle the equipment
issues in PVS.
housing will have to found for equipment by mid-May.
Representatives: There will be Athlete Representatives elected to the Board
this summer. The athletes were encouraged to come up with will come up
with nominations to be presented at HOD. The election will take place
during Age Group, LC Junior and Senior Champs in July.
- Executive Director Report; see report submitted
- Administrative: no report submitted
- 3 clubs with insufficient number of officials; Art
is staying on top of this.
- Webmaster Report: no report submitted
no report submitted; The PVS financial statements as of February 28, 2009
were provided to the Board in advance of the meeting. Status report on
the Audit Committee (John
Hirschmann reporting); The audit was
concluded just prior to Christmas. The Audit report was received by the
Audit committee in time for the February Board meeting. The Vice Chair
for Finance agreed to provide any requested information for the Audit
Committee in order to assist with the process. However, as of the date of
this meeting no definitive answers have been given to the committee.
- Operations Division: The issue regarding purchasing
the trailer for equipment is first and foremost on the agenda in the next
week or so.
Division: see report submitted [this report was submitted after the
conclusion of Senior Champs; to include all information on Junior and
Group Division:see report submitted. EZ LC Zones (Aug. 12-15, 2009): GMU has denied use of
both of their pools for this meet. Bill will check with the EZ to see if
it is permissible to have the 12 & Under swimmers compete between the
13 & over session and Finals. If it is ok, then Bill will check with
the Naval Academy
Representatives: see report submitted regarding longer events for 8 & under swimmers
talked to many coaches at both Jr. Champs and 18 & Under Champs.
Coaches felt that 18 & under was a little crowded, but the meet
filled a need, in general coaches were pleased with the meet. Coaches
also felt that Jr. Champs a little small, but happy to have it back, they
liked the size of Senior Champs. The CCM will assess all these meets at
the end of March, discuss at their Spring meeting and begin planning for
reported on the February Distance Meet; He recommends that instead of
coming back for the second day of the February Distance, which allows
those swimmers that want to swim both the 1000 and 1650 an opportunity
to swim both, that these swimmers swim the 1000 in the first heat or two
of the meet and then the 1650 in the last heat or two. This year there were
only 12 entries (6 male and 6 female) for the entire second day session
(roughly the same numbers were recorded in 2008 as well).
see report submitted
Official Committee was asked to help oversee the PVS Club Officials
Coordinators and to make sure that all positions are filled and clubs
understand the purpose of this position.
was stressed that if we didn’t have the huge number of Un-attached
officials then we would have trouble running meets particularly at the
is interest in holding a meeting with Club Officials Chairs to help
teach them what is expected of them; a meeting like this would most
likely take place in September
- Strategic Planning: No report submitted
BOD Meeting – April 13, 2009 (Budget Meeting)
The meeting is adjourned at 9:18 pm, motion to do so is made, seconded